Saturday, January 29, 2011

Social Networks

It's amazing to uncover the connections in your social and professional life through the Social Networks. Relations/connections that one might not realize to exist which will not be visible in the real world as they stay hidden, all of a sudden become clear when one uses Social Networks programs on the web. It's phenomenal to see how things can happen because one gets introduced to a friend of a friend with similar questions or knowledge or interests.

I use specifically Facebook for my personal life and LinkedIn for my professional life. In Facebook it can be because of where people live when we want to visit certain regions/countries or it can be schools they attended. LinkedIn is for me more about where people work or have worked. If I would need to prepare for a job interview at a certain company and would need some knowledge on i.e. the corporate culture I would check in LinkedIn to find connections that could support me in my preparation.

We were asked to join MSU Edu TechGroup on Macul Space, which I did but the application is still pending.. The requested group at LinkedIn of the MSU College of Education is only for alumni which is not yet the case for me.. On Facebook I did "Like" the MAET Program.

As I'm not a teacher I will not use the Social Networks for teaching, however I will use it for the sports activities I'm organizing as a parent in the school community.

1 comment:

  1. Facebook and Twitter would be great networking strategies to use for your Unihockey teams. Quick way to post team events and important dates. I know of some schools that Facebook is used by the parent association as a communication tool. Sharing important school events and meeting notes with other parents who were unable to attend the monthly meetings.

    ReplyDelete