Thursday, March 10, 2011

Learning achieved in CEP810

It's been a long time ago that I've learned so many new things in such a short period of time. A lot of material and assignments in a compressed time frame did give me a lot of width and I'll need to add more depth to the elements that I would like to take further.
Believe it or not but I never had used RSS, Delicious, Twitter, Flickr, Prezi, Blogger, GoogleDocs etc prior to enrolling in this class and many of the terminology of Web 2.0 seemed almost like a different language. Having done the classes, labs and assignments I feel absolutely more equipped to deal with many of the different options today's technology is offering. Having said that I feel that I'll need to continuously feed my curiosity to stay current and try out new programs while at the same time exploring more indepth the programs that I really want to use on a regular basis.

As a school Board member we just passed next years budget in which there's once again a major investment in technology. These type of discussions were more abstract in previous years, however with the course knowledge obtained in CEP810 I've learned to appreciate beyond just the financials the real impact educational technology could have on the students' learning process. At the same time I fully comprehend CEP810 to be just the famous tip of the iceberg...

A major issue for uses of web 2.0 in my business environment is confidentiality of data and information. Any cloud computing program will be testing the security and confidentiality issues especially when reading the free, global licensing one gives to i.e. Google when using their environment.

The best work submitted would be the SIG presentation where many different tools were outlined in our presentation. At the same time I absolutely enjoyed browsing through the other presentations as there was so much material being offered for the use of technology in the classroom. Being pushed to choose my preference went out to the Cyberbullying and the Digital Storytelling presentations. The former for the subject which I feel is crucial for today's (pre)teens to go through and the latter because of the technology involved and the use of Prezi in the presentation. Prezi is something I've discovered in this course and I'm committed to refine my understanding and use of it!

The goals I outlined in my Personal Growth Plan have been more than achieved. My awareness and use of technology have been developed at an incredible pace as I outlined above. At the same time I've been sharing my newly obtained knowledge with family members, friends, teachers at school, business colleagues. The responses were all extremely positive ranging from acknowledgment that the "old man" understands more of their life (my kids) to appreciation of sharing skills and knowledge (everyone else).

My personal growth plan / continuous improvement objectives on Edu Tech are:

2011:
continued education MSU Edu Tech certificate (summer)
Finish Floorball website (May) and continue to develop it
Become more skillful and knowledgeable of CEP810 tools and use them, starting with Prezi (May)
Establish relationship with new Head of ISL Technology (Sept-Nov)
Introduce Dartfish to ISL Tech and PE staff (Dec)
2012 and beyond
Continued Edu Tech personal improvement plan
Quarterly meetings with Head of ISL Tech
Set objectives for further implementation in PE/ASA
Review self improvement progress
Weekly review of RSS bundle on EduTech to stay current
Every second year a state of the art edu tech course

Thanks Sue, your course made a real impact on me!!

1 comment:

  1. Well said! Technology is a journey that never comes to an end. To assist you in this adventure be sure to, tuck away the url, username and pass for the Atomic Learning site. This resource is meant to be used - long after this class is over. Wouldn't it be wonderful if the teachers (and their students) enrolled CEP 810 could collaborate with the teachers (and their students) at your school by way of a wiki, blog, Moodle/Edmodo site on some type of shared project - digital stories, perhaps. Thoughts?

    ReplyDelete