Having been a PC user for most of my computer life I have now converted to a full on Mac user over the last couple of years, much to my delight which was underscored once again when going through the Atomic Learning tutorials for CEP810. I chose D. Blocking & Killing Spyware & Adware, E. Using Free Anti-Virus Products and G. Intrusion Detection & Prevention. These are the areas that I'm most concerned with at present in order to keep my computer as well protected as possible. The tutorials did only cover PC's as that's where the vast majority of today's security problems present themselves. However, it's clear that the Macs are becoming more targeted as well.
In order to find some Mac specific software I therefor did visit some of the sites mentioned in the tutorial and searched for Mac tools. Unfortunately either there was none available or no free software. Like Avast has free downloads for PC but not for Mac. Free AVG is not available for Mac, but only for WindowsXP/Vista/7.
Some programs that could be useful on the Mac (though NOT free) can be found on:
http://us.trendmicro.com/us/products/personal/smartsurfing-mac/
and for Intrusion detection: http://www.informit.com/library/content.aspx?b=Mac_OS_X_Unleashed&seqNum=240
I haven’t used any of these programs yet and would appreciate feedback of current users. Thanks in advance!
Alas, I'm a died in the wool PC user. However, my son is a devoted Mac user. I'll check with him to see if he has any helpful suggestions to share=8-)
ReplyDeleteSpike,
ReplyDeleteI use a mac too. Here's a helpful site: http://download.cnet.com/mac/antivirus-software/3150-2239_4-0.html?tag=rb_content;contentNav