Tuesday, May 31, 2011

CEP812 Wicked Problem (B) - Application of TPACK



Technological Content knowledge

 It’s clear that the Dartfish software facilitates the learning for deep understanding as it visualizes the students’ performance in sports/PE. As stated by a PE HOD in one of the videos, 65% of all the learning in PE is visual. Any tool that will enhance that learning will create a deeper and faster understanding with better results according to the material I’ve seen. In terms of results, I would also like to refer to the comment that 162 of the Vancouver Olympic medalists and 372 in Beijing were using this tool to get to better results. If PE teachers and Olympic medalists both make the same claim it’ll be hard to refute..

A stretch from visual feedback I found on the web and is called Virtual Feedback. Although not part of my project it’s a very interesting potential extension. Developed by SPS Power Skating  it uses the visual Dartfish feedback tools and creates an image of a player performing skills beyond their actual ability. SPS claims that by seeing this image, the brain perceives how to execute what it sees! Since it is the player him/herself who is in the virtually created image it's easier to assimilate the visual movement information into the set of instructions in their memory.




Technological Pedagogical knowledge

Today’s generation is driven by technology and loves to work with it. My first hand experience with the software confirms that it is a very simple tool that is mainly driven by a remote control device similar to that of a TV. With the remote control either the PE teacher or a student can be up to 20 meters away from the media cart and perform the necessary instructions (clicks) for recording or play back. Another interesting tool that can be integrated for tagging purposes can be an iPhone.
In the PE video in my previous blog post it’s visible how students can work with the remote and how simple it is. No need to be a software programmer!! The most important is to ensure that camera, laptop (with adequate ROM), remote, beamer and cables are all properly hooked up and running on the media cart. In that case the cart can be quickly rolled out to the desired location and its use can start.

Pedagogical Content knowledge

Hands-on, student-centered pedagogical strategies through directive instruction and guided discovery. According to Dartfish the tool will improve communications with students thanks to the objective visual support. It will also make objective analyses and enhance students’ (own) assessments and IT skills. Finally it will facilitate easy sharing knowledge between students and teachers/coaches.

4 comments:

  1. How often will this technology be used in your setting? Do you envision this as a daily use, or just for special units? I'm also wondering if there are troubles that you foresee using this. Are there age limits as to using the technology? I love the fact that you don't have to be a computer programmer to use the software, an important element in the implementation of any technology. With every post you make, I'm mentally taking notes for the coaches in our school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am wondering if the athletes have to wear anything such as sensors to be detected by the remote connected to the Dartfish program. From what I remember seeing in the videos and from your posts I do not believe so. However, if so would this work then with athletes in the water.

    How will you assess the growth of athletes with using this program? Will you use the videos of the student before they use Dartfish and then compare it to their form and movements after analyzation from Dartfish reflection.

    I am really enjoying all the videos and data that you are posting. I have been a swim coach in the past and when I coach again I would like to take what I have learned from you about the program to my future coaching experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The more familiar I become with Dartfish, through your posts and video links, the more impressed I become with this software - its absolutely phenomenal. Just curious how you see students using the data - Will they use it to improve their level of athletic performance? Revise how they move or position themselves? This may be something you might want to address in the Pedagogical Content section, in addition to what is already mentioned. Looking forward to listening to your podcast ~ Sue

    ReplyDelete
  4. Spike,
    Interesting thought how much learning in sports/PE is visual. The Virtual Feedback program sounds fascinating. It seems to support promoters of visualization tactics as it is a concrete visualization. How do you envision dividing time among students to experiment with Dartfish? It sounds as if the technology is all on one cart with one remote? How might a class/lesson be structured with one or more media carts? Looking forward to hearing more!

    ReplyDelete