The best use for mobile technology in the PE or ASA Sports area is in my opinion the Flip Cameras and iPods/iPads.
If there would be a set up of multiple drill stations each station can be viewed on the iPod/iPad for the proper execution and possible hick-ups to watch out for. Subsequently students would be able to record their achievements with the Flip Cameras and than edit and share with the rest of the class.
If the students would continue with the activity outside of school in their local sports club one could envision further usage of Mobile Phones/Smart Phones to record those activities and potentially respond to polls/surveys by the coach and or teacher. Other potential tools would be pedometers, accelerometers, GPS devices etc.
Clearly I haven’t been able to explore this in an actual class room setting. When reviewing the resources in this unit I haven’t been able to locate any that were addressing the mobile learning need or opportunity in Mobile Learning. Please let me know if I’ve missed something.. Still I feel there’s a huge opportunity out there. Poll Everywhere using a cell phone will work well when located in the US. Outside the US I feel one would need a Smart Phone with browser in order to work through poll4.com. Although the penetration of Smart Phones is increasing not all students have one yet so it’s not yet an option for Switzerland unless there’s a Poll Everywhere for individual European countries as well which I haven’t found yet.
Some interesting stuff I found:
MATH and SCIENCE mobile learning through sports........
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ygus7OG6fA (Sport Bytes - Mobile Learning Overview)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHk104IHBuc (sport bytes - mobile learning Kauffman Foundation)
some basic ideas:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEy4Q947EDc (mobile learning and sports)
mobile learning in general:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neZYE9gBIuE&feature=related (m-learning)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fnh9q_cQcUE&feature=related (new world)
Unable to use polling tools in Europe - How disappointing is that! Thanks for taking the time to locate (and share) the YouTube videos with your small group - Loved the gent in the sports Bytes video8-)If time permits, perhaps you can add these to the optional sharing forum.
ReplyDelete